Application of Kathak Stylistic Qualities - Unit 13 and 14




 Greeting Sequence



Bols and Tatkar (rhythmic sequence)



Mudras 



Chakkars



Storytelling - Paragraph 1



Storytelling - Paragraph 2 



Analysis

The first aspects of Kathak I feel I apply well are hand-eye coordination as well as correct positioning. 

As you can see my focus is always following where my arms are, and my knees are bent with my feet turned out correctly, giving my stance a triangular quality which is key in Kathak dance. 

A key part of Kathak dance is keeping grounded and low with your bottom half, with your upper body staying elongated and upright. I feel I demonstrate this well as my back remains straight with my neck elongated yet my lower body is strong and sturdy, and my feet are flat which allows me to perform tatkars more effectively. 






Another aspect I feel I perform well is the Bols which are used in Kathak as counts, as well as Tatkars, which is rhythmic footwork. As you can see in the Rhythmic sequence, we use a combination of bols and tatkars which are demonstrated strongly. We enunciate clearly and project the bols ('Ta', 'Ta Ka', 'Ta Ka De', and 'Ta Ka De Mi') as our counts and time our movements to correspond. The footwork is fast and at times confusing however I feel I did well at keeping in time and keeping the correct stance - for example ensuring my knees are bent and my feet are turned out flat against the floor. This allows the noises of our feet to be amplified more which is such a key element of Kathak dance, as they would also usually have ghungroos (ankle bells) to exaggerate the rhythm. 



In terms of areas for development, my first target is to improve at performing Chakkars. Chakkars are supposed to be grounded and low however I do rise up and which causes the turn to seem elevated and more balletic than Kathak. Similarly, in a Chakkar, you are supposed to lead with your arm and ensure that hand-eye coordination is kept, however I don't do this which causes the turn to look messy and flimsy. To improve I will ensure that my stance is strong and rigid and make sure to get momentum from my arm, meaning that I will hopefully remain low and also gain the power to turn faster and more successfully without having to rise up. 


I also want to develop my fluidity and storytelling, as you can see below, I add some intonation as I tell the story which adds some character, however because I am so focused on remembering the movements and words my facial expressions are blank and the moves are slightly disconnected and feel out of place. To improve I will ensure that I deliver each word as though I am telling as story to young children, and I will experiment with where I can add facial expressions as I feel this will animate my performance and make it more exciting and engaging. I will also recite the story to myself when I am doing everyday tasks, so I can ensure the words are fully in my brain and can therefore come to me naturally along with the relevant movements - once I am less nervous and more confident with the words everything will flow a lot nicer.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Future Development Plan

Unit 13 and 14 - Contemporary Workshop with Danielle Gardner from "The Garage" Norwich - 11th January 2023